IIABW is renowned for its effectiveness in advocating on behalf of independent agents and brokers in the state legislature and with regulatory agencies. IIABW's lobbyist, Bill Stauffacher, works with IIABW's Government Affairs Committee to advocate proactively for agents and brokers. We have a dedicated grassroots network who respond quickly to pending legislation through calls and emails to their elected officials.
- Captives: The OIC is focusing their attention on captives. Here is an article the OIC wrote for Big I Washington Magazine's Winter 2019 issue. Captives-December2018.pdf
- Credit Freeze: The NW Insurance Council collaorated with IIABW and the PIA on a document to help consumers understand how credit freezes impact insurance. creditinfosecurity.nwic_2018.pdf The OIC also has a Q & A on the subject.
- 2018 Legislative Session Wrap-up: Here is a summary of some of the issues IIABW worked on during the 2018 Legislative Session. 2018legislativewrapup.pdf
- Distracted Driver Law: Beginning July 23, 2017, it will be against the law for Washington drivers to use hand-held cell phones while they are driving. Tickets for driving while using hand-held electronics will go on your customers record and be reported to their insurance provider. Here is a flyer on the new law: distracteddriver.pdf
New Rules from the OIC
: Here are some of the new rules that IIABW is advocating on behalf of agents with the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.New RCWs.pdf
- Agent Licensing: IIABW worked closely with Congress to pass H.R. 26, the Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2015. The law included an amendment which will create NARAB - a tool which will eventually make it much easier for agencies to keep licenses in multiple states. We are still waiting for the NARAB Board to be appointed. NARAB II Big I Member Guide.pdf
- OIC Audits: The OIC wrote this article in December 2016 to help agents understand how an audit works and what the department is focusing their attention on. Examinations by the OIC.pdf
Day at the Capitol
Every year IIABW works with other industry groups on an All Industry Day at the Capitol to educate insurance professionals on the latest legislative and regulatory issues and to lobby legislators on IIABW's legislative priorities.
Big I Pac
IIABWs state political action committee, Big I Pac, pools contributions from over 150 members annually and gives those dollars to elected officials and candidates who advance IIABW core principles on agent-specific, insurance industry and general business issues. Simply put, a PAC contribution is the equivalent of purchasing political insurance. Contributions do not buy solutions to legislative debates, but they do allow the Big I significant 'face time' with very busy elected officials to give us an opportunity to make our case.
Personal AND corporate contributions can be made to the Big I Pac. Here is a list of last year's contributors, BigIPAC2019 (2).pdf
By joining IIABW, you also become a member of our national association, the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America (IIABA). IIABA lobbies the U.S. Congress on behalf of agents and brokers. Agents from IIABW each year meet with our Congressional delegation in Washington D.C. Click Here to read about the issues discussed during our last visit.
InsurPac,, IIABA's political action committee, represents agents' and brokers' views on federal issues and helps elect favorable candidates to the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. IIABW annually raises over $13,000 for InsurPac. Here is a list of contributors from last year: InsurPac in 2019.pdf